Monday, June 25, 2007

Ahorrando nafta

Around the Zona Sur where I live, it´s fairly common to find people driving around at night with just their parking lights on. Apparently, driving without headlights causes your car to run on less gas (nafta, as it´s called here) than if they´re on. Even the buses do it.
Of course, if you drive or walk by them, they´ll flash their lights at you just to let you know they´re there.

One imagines them singing to themselves as they drive along:
I´m saving gaaaaas...
I´m saving gaaaaas...
I´m saving gaaaaas...
I´m saving gaaaaas...
I´m saving gaaaaas...
I´m saving gaaaaas...
PLEASE DON´T HIT ME!!!
I´m saving gaaaaas...
I´m saving gaaaaas...
I´m saving gaaaaas...

2 comments:

Kristina's Tech and Culture said...

Everything sounds amazing. I think we are having similar cultural experiences. Some of the people here do not speak English they speak iua'Yupik (I cannot spell) but it sounds like you-PICK. Or the northern ALASKAN native language is In'Yupiac. Again, I cannot spell.
New food experiences, living... enjoy the gas things- walking on a road in the dark must be fun. I will not know that until the sun starts to go down. Right now... light all the time.

Chris said...

One of the best things about being in another culture is the experience of trying the wrap your mind around the things that they perceive as completely normal, which are so completely alien to you. This one is excellent...I'll have to tell Sheri about this. Nice blog, by the by. :)